Local Limelight: Weeklyish Articles Of Interest
Go Green Tips
4 of 4
In the bathroom and in the kitchen, there are simple steps to take to reduce our carbon footprint.
Since April, Goody Green Bag will give unique tips for a person in any shade of green. By practicing one more tip, we take one more step in our Greenhood.
In the bathroom
- Using a hair dryer 28 hours a month is the equivalent of leaving two 100-watt lightbulbs burning for a solid month, so think twice and air dry every so often.
- One leaky faucet dripping 20 drops a minute will deposit in excess of 925 gallons of water into the drain each year, so call the plumber when you discover a leak!
- Check your toilet for a leak by putting drops of food coloring into the tank and wait a half-hour. If the color appears in the bowl, repair or replace the flapper valve. It can save you as much as 100 gallons of water or more daily.
- There is no advantage to running your water while brushing your teeth or washing your hands or shaving. Turn off the tap when not needed.
In the kitchen
- When using your stovetop remember to use the smallest pot or pan you can and keep the flames no greater than that of you pan.
- Most microwaves use 75% less energy than conventional stoves. They also help reduce food waste by providing a quick and easy way to use up leftovers.
- Turning off your dishwasher after the final rinse allowing the dishes to air dry will save at least 10% of the energy used for each load.
- Putting a lid over a saucepan to contain heat will warm food faster and conserve energy.
- Water from most municipalities is of excellent quality. If yours is, resist using water purchased in plastic throwaway bottles. We buy an estimated 28 billion single serving plastic water bottles each year. More than 80% of those bottles end up in a landfill or incinerator.
- A full freezer operates most efficiently when full allowing less space for warm outside air to take over the vacant spaces.
- A vegetable based dish soap is a greener alternative than a petroleum based dishwashing detergent. These are more readily available than ever before.
- If you have recently replaced your dishwasher, you do not need to spend the time, energy or water to pre-rinse . Your dishwasher will clean without this effort.
- Each time you open the door to a hot oven, you drop the temperature by 25-50 degrees, which wastes energy.
-------These Green Tips were brought to you by Goody Green Bag-------
Keeping the Earth Green…..One Bag at a Time